Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Arriola means in Basque "stone-forge" (arri = stone / piedra + ola = forge / fragua).

The name "Arriola" comes from the Basque People. There is an Arriola Village in the Basque Country. I know the ships built for the Spanish Armada was a ship builder by the name Joan Arriola. (male) My father's Y-DNA is Haplogroup R1b1b2 Western European, this group survived the last ice age 10,00 years ago. The Basques and the Celts have similar DNA. The Main diseases of the Basques are Ankylosing Spondylitis, Diabetetes and Parkinson's. These diseases are common in my Arriola family and our Arriola cousins in Mexico.

Male ARRIOLA'S wishing to take a Y-DNA Test please go to The Genealogy of Mexico by Gary Felix and participate in the "SURNAME PROJECT", please read his web site there are very interesting facts and why he is conducting this Surname Project. My father name is Jesus Arriola you will see his 37 Y-DNA results. You can order the test here, remember the higher the resolution test, the better the cahances of confirming relations, get the 25 or 37 or 67 marker test. The more Arriola males who participate can be a tremendous help with family research if you can, please note at Gary Felix Surname Project how many are finding long lost relatives. Gary uses FamilyTree.com for his Surname Project and offer's a DISCOUNT.
http://members.tripod.com/~GaryFelix/index63.htm (This is a link)

You can also go to Familytree.com read all about the Y-DNA testing options. I took the mtdna test and my haplogroup is B and my mother's line 10,000 years ago was Eurasian and walked by way of the Bering Strait to the Americas. http://www.familytreedna.com/ (This is a link)

Iker Arriola Penalosa answered my request to take the Y-DNA 25 Marker Test, his results were: 25 Marker - Genetic Distance - 1. Out of 25 Y-DNA Marker Test Iker matched 24 out of 25 Genetic Distance -1, to my father's Y-DNA test. Meaning in 24 generations the chance of being related between each other is a 97.72%, in 20 generations 95.04%, in 16 generations 89.48% chance. This information helps in researching my family back to the Spanish Basque People. The higher the marker Y-DNA Test the better the chances to confirm relations.

Iker's e-mail to me:
My name is Iker Arriola PeƱalosa. I am Mexican from Mexico and grandson by the line of my father, Salvador Arriola Barrenechea, of Basques; one of them being my grandfather Salvador Arriola Idarraga. My Arriola grandfather came to Mexico in the 1930's, he was a professional Basque-ball (Jai Alai) player for more than 30 years. He was from a village called Markina-Xemein, Vizcaya Biskaia) where we still have family which we visit with some frequency. In that region (the border between Vizcaya and Guipuzcoa -Gipuzkoa-) there are lots of Arriolas.

The track we have of the name comes, as you said from Alava, but also from the village (near Markina) of Itziar (town of Deba) not in Vizcaya, but in Guipuzcoa. In Mexico, where we do not have relatives, the common name is Arreola, which is really a Mexican linguistic deformation of the original Arriola. You may know that Arriola means in Basque "stone-forge" (arri = stone / piedra + ola = forge / fragua). I do hope this site has information that can help you in Family Research.

I would like to hear from any Arriola, my e-mail is:
imarriola@hotmail.com. (This is a link)

Thank you,

Irma M. Arriola